Frequently Asked Questions
The Detroit Chassis Plant
1. Who owns Detroit Chassis LLC?
Detroit Chassis is a privately held company, wholly owned by Michael and Carlton Guthrie.
2. How long has Detroit Chassis been in operation?
3. Where is Detroit Chassis located?
The modern Detroit Chassis plant, opened in 1999, is located at 6501 Lynch Road, Detroit, MI 48234, between Mt. Elliott and Van Dyke, about 1.1 miles north of I-94 on Detroit's east side.
4. What is the size and capacity of your plant?
The plant encompasses 218,000 square feet on 33 acres. It is capable of turning out as many as 80,000 rolling chassis per year on its highly flexible production line.
5. Which manufacturers use the assemblies produced by Detroit Chassis?
Detroit Chassis supplies chassis to all the major RV manufacturers. Allied Recreational Vehicles, Forest River, Jayco, Morgan Olson, Newmar Industries, Thor Motor Coach, Tiffin Motor Homes Utilimaster, Winnebago Industries.
This Web site includes an interactive map displaying the locations of these customers.
6. How many employees do you have?
More than 250.
7. Are you unionized?
Yes, with local 155 of the UAW.
Products and Processes
1. What products does Detroit Chassis assemble?
Detroit Chassis assembles the following products: the Ford F53 motor home chassis, the F59 commercial truck chassis, and various sub-assemblies.
2. How many vehicles per year do you produce?
Approximately 20,000 per year.
3. What quality assurance programs do you have in place?
Our quality systems meet OEM assembly plant expectations. Our quality metrics are among the best in the industry.
4. What types of subassemblies are you experienced in building?
Complex drivers' modules, cooling modules, front and rear axle assemblies, tire and wheel assemblies, engine and transmission assemblies and front-end structures.
5. Can you produce subassemblies alone for my manufacturing operation?
6. Can you help me design or engineer a vehicle?
Yes, Detroit Chassis collaborates with some of the auto industry's most talented designers and engineers, professionals who can develop innovative vehicle designs as well as lean and efficient manufacturing processes.
7. In what other ways can you help me launch a new vehicle?
As part of SPECTRA, Detroit Chassis, with its sister companies Magnys and Detroit Custom Chassis, provides concept to customer design, engineering, assembly and delivery services. We can assist manufacturers with a complete range of vehicle and process design plans, engineering, computer simulations, sequencing strategy, kitting operations and assembly services.
Contact and Community
1. How can I arrange for a tour of the plant?
Please contact Linda Ratliff-Watkins, Manager Ministry, Community Support and Customer Service at (313) 743-2357 or email her at email@example.com. We will be happy to schedule a private plant tour during daily operations.
2. How can I contact someone to discuss how my company can use Detroit Chassis' capabilities?
Please contact Anderson Dobbins, VP Business Development and Planning or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. How can I apply for a job at Detroit Chassis?
Please send an email to: email@example.com for a listing of current job openings.
4. How can I enlist Detroit Chassis' support for my community group or social service organization?
Please contact Linda Ratliff-Watkins, Manager Ministry, Community Support and Customer Service (313) 743-2357 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.