Detroit Chassis Plant
The Detroit Chassis Lynch Road plant was launched in 1998 as a lean assembly plant for rolling chassis. It is designed with flexible assembly lines that accommodate multiple chassis with varying lot sizes and line rates. Additional chassis and sub-assemblies can be launched with minimum lead time and tooling cost. The facility’s key features are:
- 2 shifts / 400 workers
- 218,000 square feet on 33 acres
- 90,000 units/year capacity
- Rail and truck transport capability
- CMM capability for 42 -foot vehicles
- Multi-spindle interlock tooling
- EOL rolls and NGS testing
- Class A body panel installations
Detroit Chassis has produced its largest-volume vehicle, the Ford F-53 motor home chassis since 1999, with production starting just eleven months after work began on the facility. The plant has also produced the chassis for the Ford Explorer-based U.S. Postal Service vehicle, a school bus and the Think Neighbor electric low-speed vehicle.
At its inception, the facility was designed to incorporate the latest lean strategies for material handling and assembly. We’ve spared no effort to challenge, critique and evolve the design to optimize niche and low-volume build capabilities.
Detroit Chassis Avon, Ohio
Detroit Chassis Avon is a tier one supplier to Ford’s OHAP assembly plant. We provide assembly solutions for rear drive train systems, complex sub-assemblies and tire/wheel assemblies. Our 55,000-square-foot facility incorporates the latest error proofing technology to ensure that we meet stringent customer quality, delivery and cost performance metrics.
Listed below are some of the detailed operations that we perform:
- 2 shifts
- Rear axle sub-assembly with multiple variations (air and hydraulic), including axle leak check and lubricant filling
- Wheel and tire assembly, which includes air fill and dynamic wheel balancing with in-system audit
- Flow through parts storage, inspection and delivery
- Sequencing and Just In Time delivery
- Customer support and continuous improvement
Detroit Chassis Avon assembles corner modules and TPMS for the Ford Mustang Shelby 500, which ships JIT to Ford Motor Company’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant.